Wednesday, August 22, 2012

We're not promoting immorality- Sadiq Sani Sadiq


We’re not promoting immorality – Sadiq
Bashir Musa Liman, Abuja
Sadiq Sani Sadiq is one of the shining actors in the Hausa movie industry also known as Kannywood. He is the current holder of the Best Actor for the year 2012. He is also one actor who enjoys the goodwill of his colleagues, being someone that is persevering, patient and understanding. He is known to work with producers for free when the need arises, making some in the industry to describe him as the most loyal actor to producers and directors. He speaks about his career, among other things. Excerpts:


Tell us a little about yourself?
My name is Sadiq Sani Sadiq. I was born in Unguwar Gangare, in Jos North Local Government Area of Plateau State. I did my primary school in Gangare, while I had my secondary school education in Jos. From there I went to School of Continuous Education, University of Jos, where I had my diploma in journalism before venturing into film acting.


What was the attraction for you to join the Hausa movie industry?
To be honest I started nursing the ambition of becoming a film star since my secondary school days. So, it is the interest I have in the profession that gave me the push to join the Hausa movie industry. Again, I have a friend with whom we schooled together; he is now a director called Bello Muhammad Bello. He has been recording films since when we were in school, that also influenced me to a great extent.  And when I started I realised that it is much more than just interest; it is actually something through which I can earn a living and even take care of my dependants.
Can you give us an idea of the number of films you have starred in, the one you like most and why?
At least, I have 20 films that have been released into the market; I have another 20 or 30 others that have not been released yet. Out of the films I have starred in the one I love most is ‘Yan Uwan Juna’, though it has also not been released. The reason why I like that film is because I appeared as Hassan and Hussain, a double role. We were born twins. One is physically challenged and calm, very simple. The other is able-bodied, quick to temper and troublesome. I have never acted like that in my entire career.
How many films have you starred in?
My first film is called ‘Nas’; the second which was an English film is called ‘Beats of Pain’ which I did under Lenscope Media Company in Jos. The film series aired on television. There are also ‘Masarufi’, ‘Haraba’, ‘Su’al’, ‘Haula’, ‘Sarki’, ‘Ga Zara Ga Wata’, ‘Maryam Diyana’, ‘Yan Uwan Juna’, ‘Dan Marayan Zaki’, ‘Adamsy’, ‘Hadarin Gabas’, and so many others

Some say Hausa actors are promoting immorality instead of addressing them. What is your take on this?
Well, you know it has to do with perception. People perceive things differently. You don’t just label allegations against people. What I want to say is, if truly you are morally sound, and educated in both modern and religious knowledge, you will understand. I want people to take Indian, American, Ghanaian films or even those from the south and compare them with Hausa films and see if really Hausa films are promoting immorality. Take 20 houses in Nigeria, you will find like 10 watching one of those films I mentioned earlier. So ask them, which films are promoting immorality.

I want our viewers to appreciate the fact that all the Hausa movies they see us do are being built on our attitude, culture and religion. They should understand that what we are doing is to identify a trend, develop it into a story and pass a message to the viewers so that we can collectively address that trend. If I appear in a film as a cheat or an addict, that does not mean I am into those negative habits. No, what it means is that I am trying to pass a message to the viewers to know the ills associated with such acts. I may therefore behave as a cheat or an addict, but that is where it ends. So if you are from a good home, and you watch those acts, you will move further away from such vices. Same thing if you are from a bad home. So people should know that we are enlightening the people not exposing them to immoral acts. We are actually discouraging not promoting immorality.

You featured in quite a number of films, which would you say was the most difficult for you?
Ever since I joined the Hausa movie industry, I have never suffered in any film as much as I did in ‘Dan Marayan Zaki’, and the film is yet to hit the market. The reason is that the film is long and we spent months recording it. Again, the film is full of narratives and words that are very hard to pronounce. We travelled far and wide, including outside Nigeria, and the film was recorded at night and in the day, in the bush and in the river. However, I think it paid off in the end because the film has set a record in the Hausa movie industry. I mean there was never a time such a huge amount of money was expended in a single film and as Allah will have it, I am the lead act in it.

What are the challenges you are facing as an actor?
Challenges are a reality of life, no matter what endeavour you are into. I have faced so many challenges in filmmaking; the one I cannot easily forget is the one that led to my incarceration. What actually happened was that, at a time I was trying to find my footing in the Hausa film industry, I was involved in a controversy while I was living in Kaduna. Some people recorded a song in which they defamed the Governor of Sokoto State, Aliyu Magatakarda Wamakko. Initially they alleged that the song was done by Adam A. Zango. And that time we were sitting inside Adam A. Zango’s company known as Zango Movietone, when some security operatives came looking for him (Adam A. Zango) and didn’t find him, but they met, Zahradeen A. Sani, Hamza M. Adam and Hafsat Suleiman (a female radio journalist based in Kaduna) and myself. They arrested and took us all to a police station, before they took us to court. Eventually, they took us to prison where we spent days before we were freed.
I had to endure a lot of abuse and maltreatment but in the end, with tenacity and perseverance as well as loyalty, I am now a force to reckon with.

What about achievements?
I have recorded so many achievements through acting and I am proud of that. For example, until I ventured into the moviemaking industry I have never had the opportunity of holding N100,000 of my own. In short, through acting I am able to take care of my needs, more than what a government worker can think of. I eat, drink, clothe and shelter myself through this trade. I thank Allah for that.

Any other thing you will want to add?
I want those watching our movies to be fair to us in their assessment of us. I want them to know that some of the roles we play on screen have no connection whatsoever with our everyday life. As an actor, it is possible for them to see me today acting as an Islamic school teacher and tomorrow a drunkard; they may also see me as a dishonest man today and an honest man tomorrow. If our viewers see me in roles they find difficult to stand, they should please remember that it is only a film.

No comments:

Post a Comment